community Green Initiatives
The Mount Pleasant Community Association with support from the City of Calgary runs an annual community cleanup and recycling day. The City of Calgary provides trucks for garbage and organics as well as a bin for mixed blue bin recycling. In addition the community association provides recycling for metal, electronics, tires, carseats and mattresses. We also redirect bikes and reusable household goods to local charities. The community association’s goal for the cleanup is to divert as much waste from the landfill as possible through recycling
We ran our annual community cleanup in May and it was a great success thanks to our amazing volunteers.
Community cleanup collection totals:
● 11 355 kg of Garbage
● 1280 kg of Organics
● 430 kg of Mixed Recycling
● 1393 kg of Electronics Recycled
● 33 Mattresses Recycled
● 52 Carseats Recycled
● 50+ Tires & Rims Recycled
● 1 Full Bin of Metal Recycled
● 5 Bikes Donated to Two Wheel View
● 2 Truckloads of Donations to the Calgary Drop-In Centre
Unfortunately the 2020 cleanup was cancelled due to COVID.
Green Initiatives Committee
To help empower Mount Pleasant residents in building a stronger and more sustainable community through engagement, awareness, and shared learning.
The Green Initiatives Committee (GIC) began informally in May, 2019. To help guide the GIC in identifying priorities for the community, a survey was distributed during the Community Day event on June 15, 2019. A total of 32 persons were surveyed (23 had a community membership).
The survey results show that residents mostly get information from the Pulse and the newsletter. Six points of interests were identified:
- Waste reduction,
- Rain Barrels/Water Conservation,
- Green Transportation,
The above interest points have been consolidated into three focus areas for the GIC to prioritize:
- Gardening (water conservation included)
- Waste Management (waste reduction, composting, recycling)
- Green Transportation In line with the survey results, Green Initiative communication will be done through the Pulse and the Green Initiative Facebook page. The MP Community Facebook page will be used for advertisement.
contact Green Initiatives
The Mount Pleasant Community Garden is situated in the green space surrounding the North Mount Pleasant Arts Centre located at 523 27 Ave NW. There are 31 plots individually available for rent on a yearly basis. The community garden supports the environmental sustainability of the community by allowing community members to grow their own, local food. It also provides a unique opportunity for community gardeners to meet and connect with one another.